Looking for an easy, healthy and delicious breakfast while on the road? Our favorite chef Jan D’Atri shares how to make keto flaxseed mug muffins right from the comfort of your camper van. Quick to throw together and full of nutrition, this recipe will soon become a go to staple in your RVing rotation. Check out the details below!
This recipe is part of Rec Van’s YouTube cooking series: Get Cookin’ RV Style. Each road recipe in the series has a short cooking video hosted by an engaging guest chef, who gives you a deeper look at how to make the recipe. Be sure to subscribe to both our Rec Van blog and our YouTube channel for notifications when each new recipe is released.
Disclaimer: Rec Van has no connection to any of the companies, brands or products listed in this recipe, blog post and video, and does not receive any financial consideration from the companies, brands, and products mentioned. No endorsement of Rec Van by the companies, brands and products mentioned should be assumed.
RECIPE: Flaxseed Mug Muffin
Ingredients for 1 Plain Muffin:
– 1 tsp Coconut Oil melted
– 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
– ¼ cup Flaxseed Meal
– ½ tsp Baking Powder
– ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
– 1 Tbsp Lakanto Classic Monkfruit Sweetener with Erythritol
(or Swerve Granular sugar replacement)
Optional Flavor Add-Ins:
– 2 to 3 Tbsp Pumpkin (use ¼ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of Cinnamon, if desired)
Blueberry or Lemon Blueberry:
– 2 to 3 Tbsp Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
– 1 tsp Lemon Zest
Raspberry or Raspberry Chocolate Chip:
– 2 to 3 Tbsp Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
– 1 Tbsp Sugar-free Chocolate or White Chocolate Chips
– 2 to 3 Tbsp Blackberries (fresh or frozen)
– 1 Tbsp Walnut or Pecan pieces
1. Add 1 tsp coconut oil to a microwave-safe mug that’s at least 2.5 to 3 inches tall (to prevent the muffin from overflowing)
2. If the coconut oil is not 100% liquid, then melt it in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds until it is all melted and without any clumps. Do not overheat the coconut oil, or it will cook the raw egg when added to it.
3. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
4. Add 1 egg.
5. Whisk together the oil, vanilla and egg until well combined.
6. Add 1/4 cupflaxseed meal
7. Add ½ teaspoon baking powder
8. Add ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
9. Add 1 tablespoon sweetener.
10. Stir everything together until well combined.
11. Stir in any flavor add-ins desired, such as pumpkin, blueberries, lemon zest, raspberries, chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, etc.
12. Microwave on high for about 1 minute 30 seconds (based on a 1,000-watt microwave). Adjust timing in 10-15 second increments to be slightly shorter or longer depending on the output wattage of your microwave.
13.Let the mug muffin cool for at least 1 minute before eating, so you don’t burn yourself.
Start-to-Finish Time: 10-15 minutes Cooking
– 1 mug (at least 2.5 to 3 inches tall –to prevent the muffin from overflowing)
– Small whisk or dining fork
– Measuring cup set
– Measuring spoon set
Looking for more Get Cookin’ recipe videos to change up what you eat while RVing? Click here for our YouTube playlist.