As we cruise through a year of adventure, the freedom of the open road continues to call the names of intrepid explorers across America. Whether you’re new to the van lifestyle or a seasoned road warrior looking to upgrade your ride, we’ve rounded up a list of the top trending camper vans of 2021. Are you ready to travel by your own means of comfort?
Are you looking to skip out on the limitations of a typical hotel stay so you can wander wherever your venturesome heart desires, whenever you want? If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to all of the above, then look no further than this buyer’s guide to get the very best of your van life started.
This wouldn’t be a complete list of the hottest mini-motorhomes of the year without featuring the top-selling camper van of North America. While this rec van has been a customer-favorite for years, Winnebago continues to up the ante for adventure with better technology for bolder adventure. Built on a Ram ProMaster chassis, the 2022 model is now powered with a Pure3 Advanced Energy System, providing up to 9,600 watt-hours of power. If you’re looking to extend your energy efficiency, you now have the option to upgrade with the 12,800 watt-hour 4 module energy pack. If going off-grid is your bread and butter, the 2022 Travato serves a feast of travel possibilities, allowing you to wander further beyond the trail and to remain unplugged for a relaxing extended stay.
- All-Season roof and side-wall Insulation (Dual-pane acrylic insulated windows available)
- Heated tanks and Eco-Hot® water system cut down on water waste and hot water wait-time
- Under-bed, roof and bike rack storage space for big gear
- Anything Keepers™ storage for small item storage and RAM® Tough-Track™ mounts for your electronics
- Rear exterior shower with privacy curtain to freshen up before you step back inside (59K, 59KL)
- 360-degree swing arm mounted table with dinette seating
Arise to the finest sights of nature and run on sunshine to extend your travels. No matter which floorplan you go for, the 2022 Rize by Thor Motorcoach features a 190-watt solar power system, two house batteries and an Onan® gas generator. Enjoy further distances and remote terrains on a RAM Promaster® 1500XT chassis. The pull-out bed design in each floorplan makes for a more spacious feel when you’re on your feet. Enjoy the addition of a retro pop-up with the 18T floorplan, along with a magnetic rear screen for a picture-perfect view of your surrounding scenery. If you’re a bohemian-spirited nomad looking for an easy and cost-efficient ride, this camper van will be your dream come true.
- Easy-to-clean residential vinyl flooring
- Enjoy fresh air with an entryway screen door in every floorplan
- Boondocking-friendly cassette toilet (18M)
- Winegard ConnecT 2.0 all-in-one Wi-Fi extender, 4G hit spot, and TV antenna (18M)
- High-grade rear door Thule® bike rack
- Truma Combi furnace and water heating system
If you’re new to the rec van game and are looking for a camper that’s suited with all of the practicality and reliability to make your open road travels a total breeze, the 2021 Roadtrek Play is the perfect fit. With an open concept center aisle design and plenty of storage space for your gear, this Class B is suited to meet any and every niche of adventure-type. The 3500 Ram ProMaster chassis makes for an easy ride while the pre-installed solar system provides the efficiency for an extended getaway. The rear lounge offers ample space for both work and indoor play. Whether looking to take a playful escape over the weekend or take your work on the road with an ever-changing office window view, this Class B will be the MVP to your travel goals.
- Reinforced retractable power awning
- Heavy-duty magnetic bug screen at side entryway and rear
- Outdoor shower for gritty explorers
- Flip-up galley counter space extension with charging station
- Slide-out pantry and spacious galley drawer for large appliances
- Dual twin-bed design that converts into king-size sleeping space
This luxurious ride has debuted as the first Class B camper by Entegra Coach, featuring several of the high-end tech and comforts found in larger motorhome classes. Built on a Ram ProMaster chassis, this model is available in two unique floorplans. The 20T is the perfect fit for working on the road with its flip-out table behind the swivel passenger seat, providing a functional and comfortable workspace. If you’re traveling with fellow explorers or treating friends to a campground kickback, the 20A floorplan offers additional seating with two cab bucket seats and a rear sofa that converts into a king-sized mattress. If you seek a nimble ride with Entegra-signature quality, the Ethos has all of the character and class to exceed your expectations.
- Tuma Combi Eco Plus water heater and furnace
- Thule® bike rack, roof rack and LED lighted armless power awning
- 190W roof-mounted GoPower® solar panel (integrated control panel and portable solar plug)
- Outside shower for gritty explorers
- Stunning Tecnoform® European style high-gloss cabinetry
- Ultraleather swivel driver and passenger seats
Looking to cut down on the costs and complexities of the camper lifestyle? The all-new 2022 Solis Pocket is the perfect entry-level adventure van for first-time buyers, singles, couples, or those looking to downsize their road warrior lifestyle. The Ram ProMaster platform and 136” wheelbase provide easy driving maneuverability both in nature and around the city. Whether out on a road trip or running errands, the Pocket’s petite size allows for easy parking, even in standard vehicle spaces. The interior is packed with versatile features for a comfortable escape wherever you go. Modular details include a murphy bed, rotating driver and passenger seating, and lounge space that converts into several configurations. No matter what type of travel is ahead, this highly adaptable explorer van will conform to your every need.
- Truma® VarioHeat™ system and extensive proprietary insulation
- Convertible lounge: dinette with adjustable/removable table, sofa, daybed, or loveseat
- Storage beneath Murphy+ bed that fits two full-size bikes with L-track mounted tie downs to hold gear in place
- Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment (MOLLE) panels for flexible storage of smaller items
- Dine in or out with the exterior table, stainless steel sink, two-burner cooktop, forward-facing refrigerator, and extendable counter surface
- Fillable/exchangeable 20-pound propane cylinder for convenient refill
Who says you have to compromise comfort when choosing the van lifestyle? Built on a Mercedes-Benz chassis, the Passage is where luxury meets go-anywhere drivability. Enjoy complete camper van leisure with complete insulation, LED lighted and awning-covered patio space, and hand-stitched leather seating. Experience complete freedom in any terrain when you upgrade to the 4×4 chassis option with off-road-ready tires. Whether you consider yourself a weekend warrior or a full-time van lifer, the Passage is customizable to complement your travel style with a spacious rear lounge and loft bedding option. The Passage 144 is also available with 18″ Barabus wheel and tire upgrades, a roof rack, rear hitch, and easy-access black/grey tank gravity dump gates for those looking for bolder boondocking options.
- Dual battery charging system with monitor
- Exquisite wood veneer cabinetry with polish finish
- Custom workstation behind the driver seat (170 EXT, 170 STD)
- 100-watt rooftop solar charging system
- Conetic Deep Cycle 90 amp-hour battery (144)
- Power drop-down bed (optional)
Enjoy the true essence of tranquility in any terrain on a 4×4 Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. With a 3,500-pound trailer hitch, you can tow along your favorite adventure toys anywhere you wish to go. Ideal for hands-on projects and remote work, the 19P floorplan features a rear bench that converts into a sleeping space. If you’re looking for more lounge space, the 19L floorplan will deliver the R&R you need with bench-style seating and rear bedding. The Tranquility is a true fit for boondockers, featuring a cassette toilet that conveniently allows you to skip out on dumping station pit stops. With a 190-watt solar power and charge controller, you’re free to travel on, even when your adventure takes you off the beaten trail.
- Back alloy wheels and optional off-road tires
- Truma® Combi water heating system
- Easy-to-clean linoleum flooring
- Thule bike rack, LED lighted power awning, roof ladder, and roof rack
- Winegard ConnecT 2.0 all-in-one Wi-Fi extender, 4G hit spot, and TV antenna
- Store more battery charge while you’re off-the-grid with the Re(Li)able® system (optional)
Caught between a Class B and a Class C? Built on a Ford Transit van chassis and lined with all-season insulation, the Ekko brings the best of both worlds with intrepid AWD maneuverability and true home-on-wheels capacity. Travel is yours all year round, whether you wish to take on frosty slopes or sandy beaches. Unlike any camper van, the Ekko is dressed with all the storage space you’ll need inside and out for any type of adventure you wish to have with a heated interior garage space included. Boondock virtually anywhere for an extended stay with the power of a 3-panel 455-watt solar system. The Ekko is the perfect choice for traveling families and geared-up outdoor enthusiasts, taking the issue of compromise completely out of the equation.
- 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine allows smooth driving on rough terrain
- Multiple insulated exterior compartments
- Dry/wet bath with a pivoting partition that separates the shower from the toilet and sink
- Dinette seating with three-point seat belts and child seat tether anchors
- Enjoy plenty of shade with the patio awning and optional batwing rear awning
- Exterior kitchen with chest style 12V refrigerator/freezer, 2-burner LP cooktop, flip-up counter extension, quick connect faucet, collapsible sink, and LP quick-connect hose (optional)
If you’re still scouting for some choice destinations to discover over the summer, check out our Top 10 Lakes Across the U.S. to Visit Now for a round-up of some stunning vacation vistas we know you’ll love! Wherever you choose to go, we wish you safe travels and happy trails!