Camping Recipe Fish Tacos!
When you think of the road trips of your past, what image do you conjure first? Do you see yourself snuggled between your siblings, rolling down the highway in your family van? Are you taken back to the first time you saw the Pacific Ocean, now remembering the sunburn that brought out your first freckles and the scent of the salty air? You might go straight to the meals you enjoyed, huddled around the campfire, the sun dipping slowly in the backdrop, your eyes bigger and belly fuller than you could have ever imagined with the accompanying feeling that you’re exactly where you’re supposed to be.
The nostalgia of camping is often fueled by the meals we shared with our loved ones. Today we bring you an easy and delicious meal that your family and friends will love, and that will possibly, one day, serve as a favorite camp memory. The couple behind America Y’all are a traveling duo who specialize in outdoor and lifestyle photography and have a deep love for food. They have traveled all over the United States, cooking and eating, along the way. We’re excited to share their go-to fish taco recipe below.
camping recipe fish tacos and all Photography by America Y’all
Fish Taco Ingredients:
– 3 tilapia fillets
– 1 cup of pre-cooked shrimp
– 1/2 cup of chopped onions
– 1 tablespoon chili powder
– 1 tablespoon oregano
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– Queso fresca
– 1 lime
– 1 avocado
– 1 pepper
Cooking Gear You Will Need:
– Grill Grate
– Can Opener
Directions for Van Fish Tacos:
1. Start your fire and burn for 45 minutes to get hot cooking coals.
2. While the fire is heating, chop your onions and peppers. Rinse beans and place them in a pot. Set aside.
3. Place grill grate over hot coals.
4. Grease skillet and allow it to heat up for a few minutes.
5. Season tilapia and shrimp. Place with chopped onions in skillet.
6. Place the pot of beans on the grill. Place pepper straight on the grill.
7. As the fish begins to cook, pull apart into smaller pieces as this will help speed up cooking time.
8. Continue to stir both the black beans, fish, and shrimp while they cook over the fire.
9. When the fish is opaque white and shreds easily (about 10 minutes cooking time) it’s ready!
10. Heat tortillas over the fire for about 10 seconds on each side.
11. Load up your tacos! Add your fish, shrimp, and top with black beans, cheese, crema, and avocado. Add a splash of lime and you’re ready to eat!
Jeremy’s lesson learned: “If you’re cooking on the beach, make sure to always cover your pots and pans. Nobody considers sand as a seasoning!” What did you think about our camping recipe fish tacos? Leave us a note in the comment section below a chance to feature your go-to van recipe. Are you ready to hit the road? Join the Van Revolution today.